I generally consider myself as being from Flatts, as I lived in the area for my teenage years and again more recently; also I’ve worked in the area for most of my working life. I also think its one of the most beautiful spots on the island and one full of history. As such, I was very happy to recieve an email advertising a historical/cultural tour of the area. I personally won’t be able to make it, but I certianly encourage those of you that can to do so, heck, make a family day out of it with a trip to the aquarium and a jump off T-dock while you’re at it!
I don’t think the event coordinators will mind my advertising of the event here:
Imagine Bermuda 2009
A ‘Walk Through History’ in Flatts Village
On the 50th Anniversary of the Progressive Group’s 1st Secret Meeting
· Trace the steps of PG members- avoiding Surveillance- to their 1st Secret meeting – weeks later, they hatched the Theatre Boycott
· William Zuill Sr. on the link of Whitney to the invention of the Radio
· Karen McPhee on great-grandfather Clarence Darrell – noted ‘Flattsonian’
· Louis Mowbrey on grandfather’s role at Aquariums in BDA, Boston, N.Y.C.
· C.V. (Jim) Woolridge on Flatts Cricket & the Eastern Counties
PARK at Whitney Institute
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2009 – 2.30pm
(1st Secret Meeting of P.G. was on Sunday Feb. 8, 1959 in Flatts Village)